Friday, October 28, 2016

Building a future as an architect

Training to be an architect: picture courtesy of Carlton University Masters Program in Architecture

 By ANTONIO ESPINAL
BHSB Journalism Student

So many people have been getting their license for architecture since 2005 that the profession has become one of the most competitive you can enter, statistics show.

This has had an effect on the profession’s salaries: Only 10% of architects receive more than $125,000 per year – and the median salary is only $76,000 per year.
Still, the profession attracts me because I love designing things. I especially love seeing how things are built. It fascinates me how every design in one section goes with the design of other sections. 

Each design has to be specific because, if it’s not, then it may damage some other part of the building.

You don’t become one of the highest paid architects in a New-York minute. It takes time because you have to face challenges. A big one is competing with other people. Even if they beat you, well, you can’t let it affect you or your mentality. You have to take your failures as lessons.

Once you are a fully experienced architect, that’s when you’re going to be able to flex the hours that you work. But until then, you will have to work additional hours most days. You will have to work more hours than most people in other jobs.

Attracts

The hard work actually attracts me. It gives me a chance to show my dedication to the job.

Another reason why the lack high salaries in architecture would not put me off entering the profession is because being an architect is great experience for moving into other areas. One of my uncles used to be an architect, and the experience he gained in the profession helped him get an even better job.

I arrived in the United States from the Dominican Republic in 2003. I have been developing my English, and, in deciding to aim to become an architect, I am now setting down a plan for how I can achieve that.

In architecture, the most important skill you need is to be creative. If you’re creative you will be able to design things that other people won’t even think about. This will help you rise to the top.

Another important skill is that of organization. You need to be able to organize things. For example, you need to be able to keep track of everything you’re working on.

The skill of visualization is very important for the architect to have. It takes real imagination to be able to visualize a building or whatever you’re designing before its done – to be able to see how all the parts connect with each other.


Analytical

Last but certainly not least for the architect are the analytical skills he or she must have. The architect must be able to understand the content of designs and the context in which they were created. It’s also essential to be able to see how the mechanical systems in the design will affect the overall building.

Having a plan to become an architect helps me focus on the need to graduate from high school, and enter a college. With a degree, I will search for a masters program in architecture – and upon graduation, look for a job with the best firm that will take me. A lot lies ahead but, with luck and work, maybe I'll be designing one of the buildings you'll be working in one day in the future.




Antonio Espinal was born in Dominican Republic and arrived in the United States in 2003. He believes that there are a lot of opportunities in this country. One of his favorite pastimes is wrestling because it taught him how to be a team leader – and a leader for himself.



1 comment:

  1. I didn't know architects' salaries were so limited by the market - in general, at least. Very interesting research and thank you for this informative article.

    ReplyDelete